For Bracell’s STAR project, ANDRITZ is using its A-ConFlex™ continuous kraft, and dissolving pulping technology, enabling full flexibility in production. There are two eco-friendly hardwood fiberlines with a total capacity of 2.6 to 2.8 million TPA of bleached kraft pulp or 1.5 million TPA of dissolving pulp.
June 24, 2022
Bracell has installed an environmentally-friendly production plant for dissolving pulp at its STAR project in Lençóis Paulista, São Paulo. The production plant has been supplied by ANDRITZ.
In April this year, one of the two flexible hardwood fiberlines which were started in September 2021 was transitioned from kraft production to dissolving pulp production. In fact, high capacity with premium quality has been achieved within a few days of the shift.
For this project, ANDRITZ is using its own A-ConFlex™ continuous kraft and dissolving pulping technology. It enables full flexibility in production, which means that switching between high-quality dissolving pulp and kraft pulp can be done in a very short time span to meet the market demand.
The world’s largest EvoDry™ pulp drying system from ANDRITZ, with two energy-efficient pulp drying lines enabling efficient and very fast switches between dissolving pulp and kraft pulp production, was also supplied to the Bracell mill.
Apart from being one of the largest and most sustainable pulp mills, the STAR project also abides by the highest environmental standards. It includes two flexible, environmentally-friendly hardwood fiberlines for a total capacity of 2.6 to 2.8 million TPA of bleached kraft pulp or 1.5 million TPA of dissolving pulp made from sustainably cultivated eucalyptus.
Mr. Per Lindblom, Vice President, Bracell Group, says, “We are pleased and proud to now have the largest and greenest continuous cooking line in the world for dissolving pulp at the Bracell mill in São Paulo, utilizing proven ANDRITZ technology. We started up quickly after the switch and were soon producing top-quality pulp.”
With this project, the position of ANDRITZ is strengthened as the only technology supplier with solid references and experience in the continuous cooking of dissolving pulp.
The scope of supply includes:
- A complete high-capacity wood processing plant, enhanced with state-of-the-art autonomous wood processing solutions from ANDRITZ to ensure optimum chip quality;
- Two flexible fiberlines with DD-Washer technology ensure low operating costs, low emissions, extremely high washing efficiency, and excellent fiber quality;
- The world’s largest EvoDry™ pulp drying system is equipped with the Metris DryQ smart pulp drying solution;
- The largest HERB recovery boiler in the world from ANDRITZ, with a capacity of 13,000 tons per day; and
- A non-condensable gas (NCG) treatment system.